This is my second picture. It was just an abstract image I had in my
head. The painting was destroyed when my parent's house
burnt down. The final painting looked a lot like the water colour
study. The actual painting used acrylic paints on a I meter square
piece of wood. I was still working with colour fades but
struggling with trying to match wet and dry colours. This is the
hard part for me about working with acrylics – as I need
to match the colour on my palette with the colour on my painting.
It can take many months to actually complete a picture and it is
impossible to complete while the paint is still wet on the palette
and the picture. The other difficultly is in blending acrylic
colours to create a colour fade. The paint dries so quickly it becomes
very difficult. Both of these problems were solved when I discovered
oil paints. The abstract imagery reminded me of natural biological
shapes and felt like corpuscles rushing down a blood vessel.
Hence the name Biomorphic Vein Flow. This biomorphic imagery
would later appear in many of my abstract paintings. You can also see
the pencil squares on top of the diagram. I liked to keep
the picture as close as possible to what first appeared in
my mind's eye, so frequently I transfer the original concept to the
canvas by dividing the drawing into squares and just copying
each square onto the canvas. This is a rather practical technique I learnt in colouring in books.